Monday, March 16, 2009

THE GROWING FAMILY ALBUM- Mahoneys in New York



Apparently the stories my Grandmother told me growing up were not meant to be taken literally. They were, I have recently discovered, more like Mahoney Family Cliff Notes, highlights of her life and times.
My understanding of family history has been expanded in ways I never expected.

Thanks to Cousins Katie, Art and Diane I am now in possession of a picture that is wider, with clearer details and deeper color than ever before.

In County Cork, in the early 1800's Michael Mahoney and Helen Collins were born and eventually married. They sailed to America, where they raised eight children. Patrick, Timothy, John Patrick, Mary, Margaret, Katheryn, William and Lucretia.

Patrick was my Great Great Grandfather. His son Benjamin Sr. was my Grandfather, Harold's father.

Patrick married Helen Reichard (Rickard), in 1857 in Van Buren, New York. Their children were Benjamin (Sr.), George, Edward, Flora, Ella William, Harry and Robert Emmet (Katie's Great Grandfather)

Not only did I not realize there were so many siblings, but I had confused Benjamin Sr. with Benjamin Jr. my grandfathers brother.

Benjamin and Jennie Squires (whom we called Mother Mahoney) married in 1833 in Pennsylvania and they had Harold (my Grandfather), Ivan, and Benjamin Jr. These are the family members I grew up hearing stories about.

I was reading a journal my Grandmother left where she wrote about daily events and family happenings. She also kept newpapr clippings and other sundries.

I found items about Ivan and his family, her brother Carl's' service during the war and his early days with Pan American Airways, Mother ( Jennie) Mahoney's life in Beverly Hills, her failing health and decline, ( after her death, several newspaper articles about her return and services in Wilke-Barre, Pa.), business concerns with Benjamin and Harold, marriage notices about Ivan's daughters., and other items like those.

I have found it strange that all this new information has affected me so deeply. Certainly my knowledge was incomplete. Having more information about these people has shuffled my thinking. However, I can't ignore that the manner in which I have discovered these new family connections comes not from some genealogical data bank, but from real living breathing
people to whom I am related, is overwhelming to me.

My immediate family was caring and loving. I am so grateful for the memories I have of my Grandfather and Grandmother and Aunt Ruth. My Dad John, and his sister Ellen Jane, were special and always did their best to make my time with them happy and interesting. My Mother Phyllis and Step-Dad Johnny, were amazing. My brother Jay and his family are warm and smart and wonderful. But having said that, I must confess we were somewhat disconnected from other relatives. I can't recall meeting uncles and aunts, cousins and in-laws. So what an amazing gift to meet Katie and Art and Diane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who built the Spirit of St. Louis?

Who built the Spirit of St. Louis?
Read all about it! www.charleslindberg.com/plane/mahoney.asp

B.F. Mahoney, John's uncle, the builder of the Spirit of St. Louis

B.F. Mahoney, John's uncle, the builder of the Spirit of St. Louis
He had it all and lost it all to drunkenness

Phyllis

Phyllis
my mom, the wife of John Mahoney, formerly Mrs.Clarence Bayne of Chicago, Ill.

John P. Mahoney, Great grandson of Patrick Mahoney

John P. Mahoney, Great grandson of Patrick Mahoney
My dad, In North Africa (1940's) before meeting Phyllis

Mahoney & Company

Mahoney & Company
Had it, then lost it!

1920's Air Travel

1920's Air Travel
Inauguration of Maddux Air Lines passenger service between Los Angeles and San Diego, September 22, 1927. Passengers included Mr. and Mrs. Will Rogers; Benjamin Franklin Mahoney, owner of Ryan Aircraft Manufacturing Company; Harry Culver, developer of Culver City; Mr. and Mrs. Jack Maddux; and Will Rogers, Charles Lindberg is pilot